Me Made May 14 – Week 2

So I am still wearing me made clothes – this week I wore my first me made outfit (ok, I haven’t got to underwear yet but there were two me-made pieces together!) – I have been a bit rubbish at the pictures this week. My usual photographer has been away and so there are a few rubbishy selfies. I still need to get some clearer photos of my lovely Hepworth dress so I can write about it properly.

Click on the pictures to see more about what I made – (pink kelly skirt wasn’t blogged)

kelly hemlockskirtsorbettohawthorn

So what have I learned this week? I realised last week that although I have more things to wear than I thought, I don’t have a lot of things that go together to make an outfit. So I decided to sew some basic white tops. First one was worn with the blue New Look skirt above!

I used the Colette Patterns Sorbetto top – I made one last summer but it was a tiny bit too small (or maybe I just got bigger..), I didn’t love the bias binding I used and the fabric although pretty is very sheer. So I recut the pattern in a size 6 at the bust grading out to 8 below the waist. I used the length of the largest size and cut an extra half inch or so depth on the armscyes as they came up a little high on my first version.

I also found a sleeve pattern which had been drafted by Sew Weekly when she posted a number of variations on the pattern and turned into a PDF by Sew Incidentally and it can be found here. The sleeve pattern is one size and on the larger armscye I made I didn’t need to gather the sleeve at all to ease it in. The sleeve pattern has a regular seam allowance but the pattern is drafted with a 1/4 inch allowance as it is intended to be bound. I didn’t change it and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I made one basic Sorbetto with the stitched pleat front and one with an inverted pleat which was only stitched for the first couple of inches. I used a fine white linen which had a tendency to fray a lot so I french seamed everything – including the sleeves which was a first for me and actually went together more easily than I thought. Finally I used a tutorial from the Be Craftsy blog to add rolled machine hems

I am so pleased with how they turned out!

pleat1seams1invertedpleat1

What has Me Made May led you to make so far?

Advertisements

5 Comments Add yours

  1. Melwyk says:

    Great work on your Sorbettos. There are so many possibilities! I’ve used that sleeve tutorial as well, and really like it. I’ve realized I don’t have many bottom pieces — but I’ve only made a tshirt so far this month 🙂 I have a skirt cut out and waiting though.

    Like

    1. mrszandstra says:

      I need to make some skirts next – one of my aims this May was to focus on basic sewing to fill some gaps and it has been a really useful process!

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s