I am feeling a bit low on energy this week – I had a big deadline to have Halloween costumes ready and as usual after sewing under pressure I have found it hard to summon the energy to start a new project – or blog the completed ones – so better slightly late than never for a Halloween costume post!
My daughter always has plans for Halloween and I secretly enjoy the chance to sew something completely different. Last year was Victorian Steampunk character Veronica Daring and this year she wanted to go in a Riddler costume with her friend as the Joker. I looked at some cosplay images as inspiration – check out my pinterest board here. For a jacket we went for the Papercut Patterns Bellatrix blazer, using the cropped version. The fabric is a green poly taffeta from Abakhan. The skirt is a simple circle skirt with an elastic waist.
Bellatrix is a fully lined blazer with a narrow peplum. This means cutting everything twice and a lot of interfacing to support the front and peplum pieces. I went for a medium.I made a quick test version and ended up raising the seam under the arms, taking a bit of length out of the bodice at the sleeve level as the bust point was slightly too low, adding a bit back to the top of the sleevehead and moving the shoulder seam forward slightly. I didn’t properly measure the effect of all these changes so I ended up with a bit more sleeve fabric to ease in than in the original pattern. I had shoulder and sleeve problems with my Granville shirt so I clearly need to understand fitting this area a lot more.My favourite part of making this costume was using bondaweb for the first time to fix the question marks onto the jacket. After getting my head around cutting them out the wrong way round so they would be ironed on the right way round!
At the end of the day it’s a costume so the pressure was off – she had a great time at the party and I am briefly the best mother in the world. I also made the matching Joker costume below so double brownie points for me!Now I can finally get back to sewing that coat….