My last post was about my denim 70s inspired Rosari skirt over at the Minerva Crafts Blogger Network – you can read all about it here.
As I said last time, I have been doing a lot of pattern repeats so I thought I would also share my first Rosari, which I made as a test run before cutting into the Art Gallery Fabrics denim, and talk a bit more about making and sizing.I hoped to make a wearable muslin of the skirt for my first attempt so I used a stretch cotton fabric from Clothspot that has been in my stash for a little while. I figured the stretch would give me a bit of leeway with the fitting!
This fabric is a dark aubergine purple colour with a slightly slubby textured finish. As far as I can see, this colour is no longer available on the Clothspot website but I think it is the same as this black fabric – and is also available in navy and a lighter weight stone colour. I previously used the black for a pair of Ultimate trousers here.Based on the pattern sizing I cut a size 42 waist and graded out to a size 46 at the hip. This is the size I usually choose so I had an unpleasant surprise when I tried it on before sewing the side seams and found that it was going to be too tight at the waist… mainly I know that I should remember to measure myself properly before picking a size and lose a few pounds but I did also note that according to the finished measurements the 42 waist only has 1 inch of ease compared to 2 inches on the other sizes.
I managed to give myself a little extra breathing space by reducing the seam allowance on the side seams from 5/8 inch down to barely 3/8 inch. I had intended to flat-fell all the seams but I didn’t feel up to attempting this with such a small allowance! The skirt is a little bit tighter than I would like – and I think without the stretch fabric it would be pretty uncomfortable. You can see a bit of pulling at the waistband and over my hip in the pictures. I went up to between a 44 and 46 for the waist on the denim version – which I think is slightly more than I needed as there is more ease in the larger size but better safe than sorry!This is a perfect skirt for feature buttons – the button band is nice and wide – the pattern includes 10 buttons at the front and a further 2 on the back pockets. I didnt have the energy for sewing so many buttons so I cut back slightly. I absolutely love the style of the wooden buttons on the denim version, but I am also very pleased with these fake metallic buttons – which I bought in Liberty – I think the muted brass colour looks good with the dark purple.
I skipped the back pockets on this version – I did initially sew one on but my top stitching was such a disaster that I took it off again! I did a little practicing before I added the pockets to the denim version and I’m glad I persevered.I think that must be my smug skirt wearing face (or something…) This is a great basic skirt and I am looking forward to wearing both this one and the denim version more when it gets a bit warmer!
I am wearing the skirt with one of my Melilot blouses.
Thanks for reading!