Welcome to my very first Deer and Doe Myosotis dress – I have already made two more and have another in progress so I think it is safe to say this has been my favourite dress of the summer!
I loved all the new Deer & Doe patterns when they were released a few months ago and I bought the Myosotis dress and Nenuphar jacket almost immediately. I haven’t made a start on the Nenuphar, but I couldn’t wait to try out the Myosotis.The Myosotis dress has a really loose-fitting silhouette – the waist has darts front and back so there is shaping but it isn’t at all fitted and the skirt is a gathered rectangle. I always think I don’t like gathers and that they don’t suit me (and I hate sewing them and struggle to get them even!) so after being initially excited I had some doubts about whether I would really like this dress.
However from the moment I first tried it on I absolutely loved this dress and it has been perfect for the weeks of hot weather we have had in Brighton & London. I commute to work every day and my office doesn’t have air-conditioning so a dress that barely touches my skin has been a dream come true!Practicalities – I usually cut a 42 bust, 44 waist, 46 hip in Deer and Doe patterns – obviously there is a lot of ease at both the waist and hip in this pattern so this time I just cut a 42 bust and graded out to 44 for the waist and hip. I made View B – without the sleeve and skirt ruffles. I did lengthen the skirt quite a bit – the dress is shown as knee-length on the model Elodie on the D&D website, but helpfully they give her measurements and she is only 5 ft 3 inches – on Camille who is 5 ft 8, the dress is much shorter. I am around 5 ft 7 so I added about six inches to the bottom of the skirt pieces to end up with a below knee length version – I am also really drawn to a midi length this summer – see my longer Hollyburn skirts here.
I also skipped the buttonholes – the buttons are purely decorative as you can slip this dress over your head and my machine is being difficult about sewing them at the moment, so after two failed attempts I just hand stitched the bodice pieces together at the front.The fabric is a viscose from Clothspot – still available at the time of writing – see it here. I just love viscose in hot weather and I think this dress works best in a drapey fabric. This fabric is a bit more tightly woven than a typical viscose and much less prone to shift about when sewing. I did find that it didn’t love to be unpicked though – it was easy to tear the fabric slightly – so proceed with care!
This is my new favourite dress – it has been so perfect during the recent heat wave and I have been wearing it, washing it and wearing it again for the last month! Apparently I do like gathers – even if I hate sewing them!